Tuesday, March 27, 2012

KICKSTARTER CAMPAIGN: "All That Remains"

While I am pushing myself to write and direct more and more, what butters my bread is still my work as an editor. Editing is  more than a day job - it's still my favorite part of the process of making movies. I love shaping performance, seeing the structure of the script build back up after production, tearing that apart and finding new and interesting ways the footage can be put together. I love to edit, and I have been fortunate enough to build my editing career around editing feature length films.

I teach part-time now as a way to ensure I have a steady pay check (and to keep my shooting skills sharp and get inspired by my students' enthusiasm and wacky ideas), so editing a feature can be a challenge with that schedule. Since January, I've been cutting part -time on a feature written and directed by a friend I've known since the 7th grade, filmmaker Marko Slavnic. His film is called All That Remains. It is a drama about two Bosnian brothers following the directions their father left them in a letter just before he died. The through-line is simple and direct, but the emotions and Bosnian history are complex and we believe makes for a heartfelt, beautiful story about identity, family, loss and coming to terms with a painful past.

Movies are an expensive art form and Marko needs help to finish this out this summer. Please consider making a donation to and spreading the word about his Kickstarter campaign. Check out the video on the page to learn more about the film, Marko's perspective on the story, and to get an idea of the look and feel of the project.



No comments:

Post a Comment