Thursday, October 18, 2012

DO OVER screens at AFF this weekend: 10/18 - 10/19

Adam gives himself a pep talk before his big date with Sara

The short film I co-wrote and directed, "Do Over," screens on Thursday 10/18 and Friday 10/19 as part of the Austin Film Festival. It screens in front of the romantic comedy Missed Connections, which has played numerous festivals throughout the year. 

For anyone in the Austin area: The Thursday screening is at 7:15 PM at the Texas Spirit Theater at the Bob Bullock Museum. The Friday screening is at 730 PM at the Alamo Drafthouse Village.

Missed Connections is a comedic romance about a guy named Neal. Neal’s been trying to get over a traumatic break up with his ex-girlfriend by doing what anyone would do… tricking women on the Internet. Neal’s plan is going amazingly well, until he meets Jane, who just may be as devious as he is.

"Do Over" is about Adam, who has his first date with Sara planned to the moment. And he'll try everything to make sure that moment goes just right.

Co-written with Taylor Allen (who also edited), produced by Andrew Logan, with cinematography by Ricardo Diaz, I made "Do Over" at a time when I was itching to switch from the editor's chair to the director's chair. I wanted to keep the story simple but relatable; Taylor and I both wanted something that delivered as much heart as it does laughs. While we honed our gags we also made sure the story wasn't held hostage by them. I don't want to over-write about something that is, at its core, a crowd-pleasing entertainment, but I stand by we always put character and emotion first so that the jokes actually mean something and aren't there for their own sake. 

I'm very proud of our cast and crew. I found Garrett Jester and Jacobi Alvarez at the private school I teach at. Garrett is a great personality and a kind soul. He's funny, he's not self-conscious, and extremely intelligent. Great kid. Jacobi is a natural at screwball comedy, but she offers so much more. I think I could cast her in just about anything. She's as innocent as she is lovely and I hope that never changes. Brett Shaw - who doesn't get enough credit because of his limited screen time - is a scene stealer.

As far as I'm concerned, the night belongs to Missed Connections, but I hope that "Do Over" can serve as funny, sweet lead-in to what looks to be a winning indie comedy. I am really happy to finally be able to show the short to a local crowd. I grew up here, we shot the film here with a badass Austin crew, and I've always dreamed of showing something I directed at one of our major local film festivals.

Click here for more information about our screening.

And go here to see where else "Do Over" is playing this fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment