Friday, October 5, 2012

Great write-up on FOURPLAY in Austin American-Statesman

I'll admit this much: Of all our local publications, I did not expect such coverage from what seems to be a center-right paper like the Statesman. Maybe that's just the front page and not their movies section.

Teeing up tonight's centerpiece hometown premiere of Kyle Henry's Fourplay - a feature made up of four short films about sexual intimacy, of which I edited three; the fourth was edited by the talented and delightful Rita K. Sanders - the Austin American-Statesman published this glowing article by Charles Ealy. In it he writes:
... [T]he fact of the matter is this: “Fourplay” is so good, so uncomfortably revelatory and so resonant that the word needs to get out quickly. This is the festival’s best film, as well as one of the most provocative features of the year.
It’s like four perfect short stories from Flannery O’Connor or Eudora Welty, with one exception: All of them are sexually adventurous — and no, not in the way that Hulga gets her wooden leg stolen by a traveling Bible salesman in O’Connor’s “Good Country People.” While O’Connor usually implies sex, Henry dives right in.


That's a great take on the movie! I'm very proud of this project's adventurousness. I grew as an editor with Kyle's guidance and I collected a few morsels on wisdom for when I direct my next project.

Fourplay screens at the historic Paramount Theater tonight, October 5th, at Austin's PolariFest!

No comments:

Post a Comment