Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Mentoring at SXSW 2013

Last year I was lucky enough to on a +SXSW panel with a director I had just finished editing three projects for (+Kyle Henry) and an editor I have long admired (Sandra Adair). The panel was a workshop where the three of us would give notes on fundraiser reels that filmmakers brought in for us to watch in a room full of strangers. It was an informative, practical and useful workshop that I think people really dug and that we should try to resurrect next year.

This year, I'm a panelist of another sort: A SXSW mentor. Mentor workshops operate like this: Attendees read the bios of the mentors of a given session, then sign up for one-on-one time with the mentor they most want to hear from. You can sign up to meet with one or you can meet with all of them.

I've never done it before, so I'm looking forward to meeting some new folks and seeing what the experience is like. I hope my professional experience in production and (mostly) in post-production will help answer some questions for other working filmmakers.

I'm in the Producers/Production 2 session on Tuesday, March 12th from 330 PM - 5 PM. There are some great folks in that session, several of whom I've worked with. If you're coming to SXSW 2013 consider signing up for any of the offered Mentor Sessions!

Mentors: Production/Production 2

No comments:

Post a Comment