Wednesday, March 6, 2013

The Lowdown on THE BOUNCEBACK at SXSW 2013 (includes trailer)

I worked on two films at +SXSW this year. On the Bryan Poyser's latest, The Bounceback, I came on board just before production began as the film's post production supervisor. I've worked as an editor on a number of features now. Post supervising gave me an opportunity to have something closer (but not exactly, let's be clear) to a producorial role on the film.

Responsibilities include tasks I'm used to such as digital workflow, coordinating between departments during filming and in post, and troubleshooting/tech support. I expanded on my experience by hiring personnel, scheduling and negotiating with vendors, and being a point of contact for the director, producers, editing team, graphics team, and our post house.

It wasn't all technical and bureaucratic, however. I watched nearly every cut of the film and provided feedback throughout the post process. I was a sounding board, at times, for the director and producer, who are good friends of mine. I felt like I was still part of the team even though I wasn't in the editing chair - which is where I'm used to sitting.

I feel more confident now in a role like this. It's not a role I want to be in as much as I enjoy editing and direction, but in independent film there is no downside to having a multitude of skill sets.



Here is the synopsis for The Bounceback:
Breaking up is hard to do. Desperate and lonely, when Stan (Michael Stahl-David) learns that his ex, Cathy (Ashley Bell), will be in Austin for the weekend, he hops on the first flight to the Lone Star State with hopes of “accidentally” running into her there. Little does he know that another breakup crisis will greet him in Austin between his friends Jeff (Zach Cregger) and Kara (Sara Paxton). Cavorting through Austin’s honkytonks, nightclubs, and a cutthroat air-sex competition, the two former couples find bouncing back from heartache to be unexpectedly complicated. An outrageous but heartfelt comedy, THE BOUNCEBACK is Bryan Poyser's follow-up to the hit Sundance film, LOVERS OF HATE.
Its world premiere is Saturday, March 9th at the historical Paramount Theater at 2 PM. Visit this page for its other screening times.

Indiewire interview with Director Bryan Poyser


Slackerwood interview with Director Bryan Poyser


"Air Sex In The Name Of Love" - Austin Chronicle




No comments:

Post a Comment